Revel Spirits are very unique agave spirits. You’d understand if you’d tasted them!
If you haven’t tasted them yet, we heartily recommend you give they a try.
Since our reviews of Revel, we’ve discovered some delicious details about the spirit that agave geeks like us really appreciate:
- Revel Spirits’ Agave plants are grown in the state of Morelos, Mexico
- The soil is very rich with alkaline and the farms are very close to an active volcano, Popocatépetl
- This soil has only been farmed for 15-20 years
- The farms are run by Revel’s partner Héctor Ruiz and his family
- Morelos soil is distinct from other regions of Mexico, creating a taste different from Tequila, even though Revel is made with 100% Blue Agave
- REVEL currently uses only 100% Blue Weber agave. They will have other brands to follow using different types of Agave plants
For the REVEL brand:
- Old school method: (some of their Piña’s are roasted)
- Revel’s Piña’s are thrown into a pit filled with volcanic rock from the local volcano, covered with sand and leaves
- Pipe is inserted into the middle of pit to release smoke (so it’s less smoky than Mezcal)
- Piña’s are roasted for 48 hours covered and another 24 hours uncovered
- New school method: (some of their Piña’s are steam heated)
- Then the steamed and roasted Piña’s are blended
- Shredded, Fermented, etc.
- Then the product is triple distilled through column distillers
- Which creates the Blanco
- The Reposado is made from the Blanco placed in (once used) American Whisky oak barrels for one year.
- The Añejo is made from the Blanco by inserting the Blanco into (new) French oak barrels for two years – which takes on a different complexity then the Reposado
Watch Tequila Aficionado’s networks for live streams and full video coverage of the Revel event at 6Smith in Wayzata, Minnesota, tomorrow!
Following are the previous reviews we’ve done of Revel’s Agave Spirits:
We were not compensated for these reviews but we did receive free product samples in exchange for honest, unbiased reviews.
Brands participating in Tequila Aficionado Tours, like Revel, are selected to participate based upon our interest in working with and promoting them. We never endorse a brand we would not recommend to our mothers. All participants in our tours pay a one-time sponsor fee to participate. #sponsored